University Store Textbook Advance Program
Purpose of the Program
The purpose of the Textbook Advance Program is to provide short-term, interest free loans to students who are attending Towson University so that they may obtain the required course materials needed for their registered classes.
The advance can only be used at the Towson UStore located in the Student Union Building. The full amount of the advance must be repaid to the UStore prior to the first day of finals. All outstanding advances will be billed directly to the student’s account and then collection will be handled by the Bursar’s office.
All University late fees and penalties will apply.
Advance amount that can be requested is $500 maximum in the Fall/Spring semester.
If you need to access our Textbook Deferred Payment Program to cover your textbook expenses, consider applying.
Process for Applying:
- Must be duly-enrolled and in good academic standing
- Open to all students (undergraduate and graduate)
- Materials must be required for the currently enrolled class, no optional materials
- Students are approved for the Advance program based on a combination of factors that include but are not limited to:
- Need and eligibility
- Date completed application is submitted
- Past borrower history
- The book may be new, used or a rental*
- The total advance amount must be less than or equal to $500 per semester
- Materials must be purchased at the main University Store location only
- Approved advances must be used within 30 days of approved loan date. After 30 days the balance not used will not be available.
Timeline for applying, receiving loan, and paying back loan:
- Students must submit application by the Add/Drop Deadline of each semester.
- Students will be notified via email if the advance has been approved within one week (5-7 days) of submission of the application.
- Students approved for the program must review and acknowledge advance rules, regulations and payment procedure options attached to the confirmation email.
- Following approval and student acknowledgement a second email and account equal to the amount of the advance will be placed on the student’s UStore account.
Using your Loan:
- Visit the Towson UStore at the University Union.
- Gather your required Course Materials and go to the registers at the front of the store.
- At the register, mention to the cashier that you have a textbook advance.
- The cashier will scan your textbooks and ask for your student ID or OneCard.
- You will sign a receipt slip just like a credit card purchase and receive a detailed purchase receipt.
- Payments can be made at the Customer Service desk at the UStore throughout the semester by presenting your student ID or OneCard. Payments can be in the form of cash, checks, credit card, OneCard or Financial Aid.
- All outstanding textbook advances will be billed to your student account on the first day of finals and collection of the loan will be then handled by the Bursar’s office. All late fees and penalties will apply.
- Students will be unable to register for classes or apply for graduation until the advance amount is paid in full. Late payments may result in future removal from the program.
*All existing TU rental agreements still apply
CLICK HERE FOR THE TEXTBOOK ADVANCE PROGRAM APPLICATION