Direct Access &
Affordable Course Materials Initiative
Direct Access converts physical course materials into instantly accessible, totally interactive and adaptive digital content, while drastically reducing the cost to students!
- Provide students with more affordable course materials.
- Improve educational outcomes for students and enhance the student experience on a common digital platform via Blackboard.
- Position Towson University with UMBC to be ahead of the curve with digital content.
- Students are sent an e-mail two weeks before classes begin with instructions on how to access their digital course material content. Access to the content is through Blackboard and available before the first day of class.
- Students enjoy free access to the content during the first two weeks of class.
- After the free two weeks, to retain access a student does nothing! A charge is conveniently billed to the student’s university account.
- Click the RedShelf tool in your Blackboard. If you have trouble with Blackboard, log into the towson.redshelf.com website.
- You may need to reset your password which you can do at redshelf.com/accounts/forgot
- Navigate to My Courses.
- Click the hyperlink underneath View Course Materials that says, “I want to opt out of access for all required materials for this course.”
- Follow the instructions on the box that pops up to complete the opt-out process.
This will ensure you are not billed or charged for any products associated with your courses! If you opt out, you will be responsible for getting the required materials elsewhere. This video will walk you through the opt-out process: https://solve.redshelf.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007587434-How-to-Access-through-Blackboard
General student inquiries, including opting instructions:
Usability/access issues, enrollment pre-opting-deadline:
Direct Access FAQ
- Pearson Publishing: http://247pearsoned.custhelp.com/app/contact
- McGraw-Hill Publishing: http://mpss.mhhe.com
- Cengage Learning: http://support.cengage.com/magellanweb/TechSupport/login.aspx
- Wiley: http://www.wileyplus.com/support
- W.W. Norton Publishing: http://books.wwnorton.com/books/techsupport.aspx?mid=106&tid+4012